Of the large volume of photos taken during yesterday's festivities, about 95% of them were absolute shit. But the other 5%? Gems. I feel like they capture the hilarity and beautiful organized chaos that is the Handle Bar. And even though it was wild and loud and my butt is sore from peddling on a bike, it was perfect. It's hard to pick out the best parts of the day because it was all so damn good, but I guess if I had to choose some highlights it would include...
- Rocking the onesies with my girlfriends, thanks to Audrey and Revathi for their surprisingly large supply of onesies
- The second official fried chicken taste test, where it was decided that Popeye's is indeed the superior fried chicken (although I'm totally embarrassed to say I voted KFC, and I don't think Andrew has completely forgiven me yet)
- Singing to Tunuk Tunuk full blast down Massachusetts Avenue, and getting acknowledged by the Indian man walking down the street WHO TOTALLY KNEW THE SONG
- The arrival of Amal and Arpita, who is here to visit for the week! For anyone who doesn't know, Arpita is one of the college lady friends I always hold near and dear to my heart. She's been rocking life in the Big Apple but came down for one last hurrah before we all move our separate ways, and I can't wait to adventure with her around the city this week.
- Moving the party from the Handle Bar to the lawn of the canal, lying in the grass and petting Sara's dog Leo, who is one of the prettiest dogs I've ever met
- Demolishing five Dominos pizzas on said lawn, sitting and enjoying the delicious night air. Side note, Dominos has seriously stepped up their game, and needless to say, I'm impressed. But (almost) anything tastes good when you've had a little booze.
And even though it seems ridiculous, the day was meaningful because it's one more memory made before the start to residency, one more hurrah that I can celebrate with these special people. I love how they approach each celebration wholeheartedly and excitedly - it's infectious.
I love this city and these people.