Aka Dakody's birthday cake!
Whose real name is actually Dakota. But he goes by Kody... and we like to say Dakody (for short?). I feel as though I share a special bond with Kody. We are both March babies! Not only that, but we are super lucky and get our birthdays right around midterms nearly every year. While it sucks, it ends up being all good because I'm right before exams start, so I just procrastinate another day and celebrate, and he gets to wait an extra day or two and then go all out celebrating at the end of exams. So even though it's not the most ideal timing, we make it work.
And now it's the weekend, we are free of exams, and life is very good. So good that we are celebrating with this cake! The best part about the cake itself is that only took 1 bowl, and it doesn't even involve softening butter. It bakes up moist and fluffy like a boxed mix, but obviously is even better because it's from scratch. I make it in these little rectangular ramekins too because mini birthday cakes are just plain fun and cute. And just as delicious as the big ones.
So Dakody, happiest of birthdays! I hope 24 treats you well.
ALSO I'm not the only one who wants to wish you a happy birthday. Here are some messages from some cool cats who also want to wish you a happy birthday:
- Dear Kody. I'm glad someone else loves pusheen cats as much as I do. Happy birthday! Love, Andrew
- Dear Kodezy, it's nice havin someone to bitch about school with and blow off some steam. Hope you have a fantastic bday bud! - Swap
- Dear Kody, hope your day is filled with oatmeal squares and kanye west. And maybe some cake. Love, Aava
- Dear Kody, see you in silver. Love, Sid
- DAKODYYYY. Hope you have a great birthday eating lots of cake and other carbies. I'm happy I have someone in med school who I can share my love of food with hehe. Love, Revy (P.S. Cats are still the worst)
- You're the best locksmith for my apartment that I could ever ask for! - Anand
- DaKody, After years of endless searching, I've finally found a friend whose taste in breakfast matches my own. It's like we were meant to be. Happy birthday to my #cerealsoulmate! XOXO, Annie
- My dearest Dakota, I hope this message finds you well on this day, the memorial of your birth. I write to you from the kitchen table that has become my home this past fortnight. As I sit, I reminisce fondly of the time we've spent together. And I remember as if it were yesterday, the day two years when luck brought you into my life, and we signed the lease that sealed our fate together. And even though we are separated by about 10 feet of carpet and one very fragile door, I will always keep you close by in my heart. Yours truly, Willittaco
If you couldn't tell from the messages, Kody really likes pusheen cats and oatmeal squares. And we all call him a bajillion different nicknames. Now go eat some cake.
P.S. I updated my About Me page for the thousandth time so check it out! After writing this post I had an epiphany about this blog and have thus updated the about me section because I feel like it's important. Happy Saturday everyone!
P.P.S. We surprised Kody at a fun event that happened on Friday, pics of that to come in a post very very soon!
One bowl chocolate birthday cake
Unsalted butter, softened, for pans
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder, plus more for pans
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
3/4 cup warm water
3 tablespoons safflower oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 4 mini rectangular ceramic pans; dust with cocoa. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed or whisk until just combined. Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
Divide batter between pans. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out from pans. Transfer, faceup, to wire racks. Let cool completely.