A Friday post, because tomorrow I'll be on a plane to the other side of the U.S. and I tend to write these in real-time half out of laziness and half out of the fact that I think I write better that way.
I've been keeping a sticky on my laptop this month with the title, "Things I Learned in 2015". Granted, there are 19 more days till the actual end of 2015, but those 19 days I plan on eating and laughing with my favorite humans, taking photos of their beautiful faces, and hopefully spending minimal screen time. So here is the list, 19 days early! If I learn anything new in these next couple of weeks, I'll make sure to write them down and stick an addendum on this post so you can check back on January 1st just to make sure.
Things I Learned in 2015:
- Just do the things you need to do, even if you're feeling lazybones - you will be less stressed out at the end of the day.
- Wearing no makeup allows you to rub sleepy eyes in the morning.
- Pants > leggings. After years of being in the I-wear-leggings-as-pants camp, I am converting into a pants lover, especially of the corduroy type. I am currently loving my J. Crew matchstick corduroy pants in grey, and I've got the same pair in hot pink that will likely appear come springtime.
- I like surgery (!!!!!!!)
- Taste food as you go.
- Learn from the baking fails. Or really, any fail. Just make sure you're learning, then it automatically becomes less of a fail.
Oh yeah, and I can't leave you hanging about this no bake cheesecake. It's a chocolate gem with a kick of espresso since I love those two flavors together. It takes like 30 minutes to whip up and you get to do fun things like whirl the food processor to make chocolate graham cracker crumbs and sprinkle powdered sugar all over it to look like snow! I made it for my lady friend Kelsey who turned 26 the other day and all of us agreed it was pretty tasty.
Happy rest of 2015 everyone!!!
Chocolate espresso no bake cheesecake, adapted from Serious Eats
- 2 sleeves of chocolate graham crackers, crushed into crumbs.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Line an 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Pour melted butter into a bowl of graham cracker crumbs and mix until the crumbs are moist. Press the crumbs into the bottom and halfway up the sides of the 8 inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes on high speed with a hand mixer. Add the vanilla extract, espresso powder, sour cream, and chocolate and mix until combined and fluffy, about 3 more minutes on high speed.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan, and spread with a spatula so that the top is smooth and even. Chill in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours. Dust the top with powdered sugar, take it out of the parchment paper, put it on a pretty cake stand, and enjoy with family and friends!