For those of you who don't know me, I have 3 weaknesses when it comes to food:
- Ice cream,
- Pretzels, aaaaaand
- Peanut butter
While #1 isn't involved in this dish (but maybe I'll try ice cream in the future?), I combined my love for pretzels and peanut butter to make this cookie cake. Only to make it even sweeter with semisweet chocolate chips and a milk chocolate frosted border.
I know, I know. You're welcome.
I whipped up this cookie cake for the Super Bowl this past Sunday, when I went over to my friend's place to partake in typical football watching festivities. Bryan and Danielle were amazing hosts, and they had quite an incredible spread for all of us: chili, buffalo chicken dip, beer, chips, etc. etc. I even tried pizza rolls for the first time in my life. ever. Didn't try it with the ranch dressing though. I'm not quite convinced on that one yet.
By far the best thing about this cookie cake was the salty salt crunchy crunch that the pretzels provided in every bite. It was like tasting pretzels dipped in peanut butter. With a few chocolate chip handfuls in between. My perfect snack, really. And the other best thing about this dessert is that it's a thick, ginormous cookie cake. Not just a cookie. I'd probably say 1 slice of this cake is equivalent to 5 cookies. But 1 slice sounds way healthier than 5 cookies, right?
Since it was a cake for the Super Bowl, I jazzed it up by adding a pretty border with some milk chocolate frosting. The frosting is what makes it a cake instead of a gigantic cookie, if you ask me. If you wanted to make this extra brilliant, I would suggest adding some butterscotch chips in the cake, or maybe a melted peanut butter drizzle on top. Or maybe both. And then topping it with some ice cream. YES. Why didn't I think of that earlier!
Go make this cake for your next friendly get-together. It's a game-winning combination! Hardy har har. See what I did there?!
Chocolate chip pretzel peanut butter cookie cake
Adapted from Life, Love, & Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Milk, if needed
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Crushed pretzels (I used 3 handfuls, you can use more or less!)
- Milk chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 inch cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes
- Mix in peanut butter, egg, and vanilla extract
- Add flour and baking soda and combine.
- If the dough seems a little dry, add milk (probably about 2 tbsp)
- Stir in chocolate chips and crushed pretzels.
- Press the cookie dough evenly into the cake pan.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until the edges are slightly brown.
- Remove cookie from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Frost the cookie cake with milk chocolate frosting, or add your own toppings! Enjoy with a tall glass of milk, or top it with some ice cream!